July 24, 2016
The Water Processing Group of Sumitomo Electric USA brings solutions for hard-to-clean wastewaters with a “super” membrane product known as POREFLON.
Sumitomo manufactures POREFLON from a very porous material made from 100 percent polytetrafluoroethylene, or PTFE.
This PTFE material is manufactured as a hollow fiber microfiltration and ultrafiltration membrane module for use in the treatment of wastewater, industrial water, and other hard-to-treat waters, often in extreme conditions.
The POREFLON PTFE hollow fiber membrane module is unlike other polymeric membrane and has the following principal features:
- PTFE offers excellent chemical resistance. It is chemically stable and does not degrade when exposed to strong chemicals such as alkalis, acids or even caustics.
- The hollow fiber membrane is extremely tough, giving it a long service life. Tensile strength tests have proven POREFLON six to ten times stronger than competitive membrane fibers.
- Due to its high porosity, POREFLON is highly permeable to water. The illustration below shows the microscopic structure of POREFLON products. With no strength limitation or other restrictions, the porosity of POREFLON can be increased by up to 90 percent.
- POREFLON has a high resistance to heat. The fiber membranes are able to tolerate temperatures up to 200°C (392°F).
POREFLON has unique features which make it desirable in a number of challenging water treatment situations:
- Oily wastewater
- Persistent organic compounds
- Industrial wastewaters
- Municipal wastewaters
- Other hard-to-treat waters that conventional polymeric membranes may not be able to handle.
Sumitomo Electric’s POREFLON PTFE Membrane Modules are currently installed in more than 250 plants worldwide in a wide variety of applications. The POREFLON product is now being introduced in the Americas as a proven solution for hard-to-treat wastewaters in the most challenging of industrial and municipal applications.
With our sales and service teams in the U.S., we look forward to working with our customers in the Americas. Please visit our product website and subscribe to our newsletter for case studies and additional information on our U.S. installations.
Sumitomo Electric USA
2355 Zanker Road
San Jose, CA 95131